Sunday, November 2, 2008

Week in review...

It's down to the wire. Today, I watched an Obama rally in Columbus, Ohio. He said two words that made the crowd go insane... what words?

TWO DAYS.

It seems like yesterday that I was looking at the BBC for the first time... and now this is the last time that we look at the site to see who the winner is going to be.

The BBC has not really tried to frame things in a way that has lead me to believe they are endorsing one candidate over another. They really have been fair and balanced. I remember being in England watching the news, and being shocked at the little emotion that newscasters put into their news; and now I believe it is shining through with the writing...

For the final week before the election, these have been the top stories on the BBC:
1. Obama moves into Republican states.
Obama has moved into historically republican states. He has more money, and isn't afraid to spend it. He is even spending in Georgia, a state that has only voted Democrat ONCE in the last 20 years. While some pundits say that it may be a sea of blue November 4, the BBC says that within the states, it still might be close...
Meanwhile, McCain is focusing on Pennsylvania...
2. Obama's auntie!
Apparently Obama has an aunt living in America... illegally! He said that he had no knowledge of his Kenyan aunt living in Boston. "David Axelrod, Mr Obama's chief media strategist, told reporters he believed that people would be "suspicious about stories that surface in the last 72 hours of a national campaign". " The BBC made this story about Obama's history, and really didn't do a whole lot of investigation. Sometimes I feel like the BBC just waits for fact sheets from the candidates, and then writes the articles accordingly. I haven't had a chance to watch the news-- but I hadn't heard of this story either... at this point, I think it's too close and the economy is in too bad of a shape to focus on an illegal immigrant aunt...
3. Palin's duped!
Bahahaha!! A Canadian comedian pranked called Sarah Palin, pretending to be the French Prime minister... Good news for the McCain campaign-- she didn't embarrass the family. the BBC even included a taped portion that is very funny. I hadn't heard of this, but apparently the people in Europe got a kick out of it.
4. Cowboy Up
In an effort to give McCain some good press, the BBC wrote an article about how Wyoming voters would never send Obama to the White House... However, I don't know that it really shows McCain in a good light. One statement said, "One said a mixture of habit and tradition, sprinkled with a douse of racism, put paid to any hopes they had of winning Wyoming."
Is it better to foster racism to win an election, or lose? I think it might be like that Ketchem commerical... I don't what he calls me, as long as he votes for me...
This has made me think about uneducated voters-- and the Australian way of making everyone vote... Should educated voters votes count for more? Don't we want smart people that understand politics picking our leaders? and does it benefit the democrats or the republicans to have this demographic voting??
5. The Gov-a-nator
Arnold travels to Ohio to help John McCain in his bid for the presidentency. This is something that I've heard about. McCain has to make a comeback... and what better person to help that the man who is known for the "I'll be back" line? The funny thing about the article, though, is the fact that the reporter actually talks alot about how (see #1) Obama is running ads in places like Georgia... and even in McCain's home state of Arizona... If this story is saturated with these reports about Obama, then is this even the story??


One last thing that I want to add is a video from the BBC... There isn't an article, but I do believe that this should be something that you see.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7704636.stm
I think it says something about the way America is stereotyped around the world...

I believe that McCain should probably start working on that concession speech...

No comments: